If you maintain a clean home exterior but somehow your residence still looks a bit unkempt, it might just mean your driveway needs some care. Years of grease, dirt, and grime will accumulate, resulting in a dull and unappealing driveway appearance and, because cleaning this area is often overlooked, it ends up impacting your home’s value and curb appeal. Here’s a look at how a good cleaning can improve your home.
What is the impact of a clean driveway on the home’s exterior appeal?
You might be under the impression that washing your driveway is a waste of time, but it adds immense value to your property – particularly if you’re looking to sell your home by attracting potential buyers. However, a professional clean will improve your home in several ways.
- Curb appeal: You don’t realise it but your driveway is the first impression of your home for everyone, and by keeping it clean you’re creating a positive first impression of a well-maintained and attractive property.
- Property value: If you’re considering putting your property on the market, then washing your driveway will play a crucial role in the overall value. When evaluators and potential buyers see a clean exterior, the impression is that this level of care continues to the home interior with maintenance a priority.
- Safety: Regular cleaning of your driveway will remove ingrained dirt, debris, algae growth, and grease, all of which can be incredibly dangerous for motorists and pedestrians. Cleaning your driveway will reduce the risk of slips and accidents.
- Lifespan: Cleaning your driveway is not just about the aesthetics, it will also ensure your driveway is maintained for years to come. By removing oil stains, mould, and mildew, you’re not having to pay for repairs or replacement costs.
- Neighbourhood pride: There’s something to be said about creating valuable connections with those in your neighbourhood, and by cleaning your driveway and maintaining a positive home exterior, you’re increasing the value of the neighbourhood and encouraging others to follow suit. Nobody wants to live next door to a dirty, unkempt home, but a clean and beautiful space benefits everyone.
How do you clean the driveway?
Now that the value of a clean and well-maintained driveway is clear, it’s time to embark on a thorough cleaning process. If you’re going to wash your driveway manually, it’s going to take a lot of time and energy, which can be incredibly frustrating. A driveway will require specialised cleaning equipment and tools to get it into the best possible condition. You will require:
- A pressure washer and hose: This needs to be a quality pressure washer with a high PSI (per square inch) to effectively remove ingrained dirt.
- Cleaning agents: You will need a strong cleaning agent that is specifically designed for use on exterior surfaces with a pressure washer.
- Stiff brush: A long-handled broom with stiff bristles is required to prevent splashbacks and remove hardened dirt.
- Safety gear: You will need safety gear such as goggles for your eyes, hearing protection, rubber-soled shoes and waterproof clothing.
What is the role of a professional cleaning service?
If you’d prefer not to go the time-consuming route of a DIY driveway clean, or you don’t want to invest in all the equipment when you’re only going to need it every few months, then it’s worth hiring the professional services of a cleaning company. A professional cleaning service is beneficial for several reasons.
- Hassle-free: If you have a lot of time and energy on your hands, as well as the correct cleaning equipment, then you can go the DIY route. Alternatively, it’s best to hire a professional team who can come in and get the job done properly, quickly and easily.
- Safe cleaning: You need a high-pressure washer and harsh chemicals to clean your driveway, which can be incredibly dangerous for you (and the environment) if not done correctly. A team of professionals will know how to get the job done safely, so you aren’t endangering yourself, your family, or your neighbours.
- Cost-effective: Of course, you would have to pay professionals, but this is an investment as you’re avoiding future repairs while also avoiding the costs of equipment and cleaning products.
For the best in the business, choose Kleen Genie for all your driveway cleaning needs. A clean driveway means a more valuable property and increased competitiveness when trying to sell.